Friday, June 26, 2020

Opinion Today: 'My body is a confederate monument'

It's possible to change people's minds.
Author Headshot

By Honor Jones

Cover Stories Editor

“I have rape-colored skin.”

So begins Caroline Randall Williams’s powerful essay about being descended from black women and the white men who enslaved them. The headline is: “You Want a Confederate Monument? My Body Is a Confederate Monument.”

One of the things I like best about this piece is how persuasive it is. You might be thinking: Aren’t Op-Eds always supposed to be persuasive? Well, yeah, but I sometimes worry that too much opinion writing is about trying to make already outraged people slightly more outraged. The best Op-Eds, like Caroline’s, do more than that; they make readers see the world differently.

She’s not just writing for the people who already believe that Confederate monuments should be torn down. She’s also writing for the people who don’t get what the problem is. Once they’ve read this, they can’t say that anymore.

Caroline’s essay made me think about one of my mentors, Trish Hall, who used to run Op-Ed. She published a wonderful book last year called “Writing to Persuade.” It begins with a list of basic rules of persuasion. One of them is “emphasize your similarities”: “People are more likely to agree with people who are similar to them.”

Caroline turns that tactic inside out to devastating effect. “You cannot dismiss me,” she writes. “You cannot say it wasn’t my family members who fought and died. My blackness does not put me on the other side of anything. It puts me squarely at the heart of the debate. I don’t just come from the South. I come from Confederates.”

“Who dares to tell me to celebrate them?” she asks.

My colleague, Jen Parker, started talking with Caroline way back in 2017 about the ideas behind this Op-Ed. I commend their patience, because I think it has the greatest chance of making a difference now. If you know someone who is still, in 2020, complaining about empty pedestals and rewritten history, send them this piece.

ADVERTISEMENT

Forward this newsletter to friends …

… to share ideas and perspectives that will help inform their lives. They can sign up here. Do you have feedback? Email us at opiniontoday@nytimes.com

Here’s what we’re focusing on today:

ADVERTISEMENT

Ideas

ADVERTISEMENT

Contact Us

If you have questions about your Times account, delivery problems or other issues, visit our Help Page or contact The Times.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

David Leonhardt's newsletter is now the Opinion Today newsletter. You received this email because you signed up for David Leonhardt's newsletter or the Opinion Today newsletter from The New York Times.

To stop receiving these emails, unsubscribe or manage your email preferences.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagram

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment