Thursday, December 16, 2021

Opinion Today: What the fall of Roe could mean for miscarriage care

Elective abortions are only part of the equation.
Author Headshot

By Jessica Grose

Opinion Writer

My heart sank last week when I saw that the Supreme Court was leaving Texas's restrictive abortion law, S.B. 8, in effect. The law essentially outlaws abortion after six weeks gestation, which is before many women know they're pregnant.

Though polling consistently shows that the majority of Americans think abortion should be legal in some or all circumstances, the Texas law, and the suggestion that Roe v. Wade may be overturned or weakened in 2022, do not seem to be inspiring much protest on the national or local level.

I wondered if the reason more Americans were not incensed by the possibility of Roe falling was because they figured it would not affect them. They personally would not choose to get an elective abortion, so it wasn't top of mind. But we know from countries where abortion is restricted that there are many unintended consequences that deeply and sometimes tragically affect women's health.

In my newsletter on Wednesday, I wrote about how miscarriage care may be affected by abortion restrictions. When I had a miscarriage in 2014, it took two weeks after my first bad sonogram for doctors to be certain that my pregnancy was not viable. I was offered three options for care: I could continue to wait and see if my body would miscarry on its own without intervention, I could take medication and end the pregnancy at home, or I could have a surgical procedure to empty my uterus, known colloquially as a D. and C. (The last two options are the same choices offered to abortion patients.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Because miscarriage and abortion care can look identical, there is a chilling effect in countries like Malta and Poland, where abortion is outlawed. Doctors in those countries are understandably concerned about being prosecuted for anything resembling elective abortion — so many women miscarrying are offered no choice. They must simply wait, at great emotional and physical cost, for their bodies to miscarry on their own. In the worst case scenarios, women have died from lack of treatment when they were experiencing pregnancy complications.

I hope a few readers — even ones who are not supporters of abortion rights — might read my column and understand the knock-on effects of blunt force laws that do not consider delicate and liminal situations like mine. Those two weeks I had to wait were among the worst of my life. The ability to choose to end the pregnancy at least somewhat on my own terms helped me cope with the loss. That's all I want for other families going through their own worst moments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Here's what we're focusing on today:

ADVERTISEMENT

Subscribe Today

New York Times Opinion curates a wide range of views, inviting rich discussion and debate that helps readers analyze the world. This work is made possible with the support of subscribers. Please consider subscribing to The Times with this special offer.

Games Here is today's Mini Crossword and Spelling Bee. If you're in the mood to play more, find all our games here.

Forward this newsletter to friends to share ideas and perspectives that will help inform their lives. They can sign up here. Do you have feedback? Email us at opiniontoday@nytimes.com.

Contact us If you have questions about your Times account, delivery problems or other issues, visit our Help Page or contact The Times.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for the Opinion Today newsletter from The New York Times.

To stop receiving these emails, unsubscribe or manage your email preferences.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagram

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment