Monday, October 26, 2020

Opinion Today: When Hillary met Kara

"I've got a lot of time on my hands."
Author Headshot

By Paula Szuchman

Managing Producer, Opinion Audio

I won’t lie. Listening to Hillary Clinton talk about 2016 is hard for me.

Four years ago, around this time, I was home watching the election results with my two young daughters. I’m embarrassed to admit that the next morning, it was my 6-year-old who was doing the comforting: “I no your upset about Donald trump winning and hillary loozing. But it’s ok. We still have our house and stuff, and what maters is our family,” read the note she left by my bed.

She’s 10 now, and she screamed when she saw Hillary on my screen a few days ago doing an interview with Kara Swisher. We were recording today’s episode of Sway. Being in that virtual room with Hillary was bittersweet for me — why is this woman in her attic in Chappaqua right now and not in the Oval Office? — but inspiring for my daughter. I’m holding on to that.

The 2016 election is “still front and center in people’s psyches,” Hillary told Kara during a wide-ranging conversation that covered what went wrong in 2016 and what she believes will go right in 2020. “There is something deeply unsettling to a strata of American voters about a woman getting that close to being president.”

There were plenty of funny moments; “I’ve got a lot of time on my hands,” she said, a shelf of old VHS cassettes visible behind her. And moments of honesty; “I just want to be able to exhale.” And of course, moments that took me back to Hillary, the great campaigner:

Kara: Do you think a woman president in the United States would handle the pandemic better?

Hillary: I have no doubt, especially if it were me.

I want that confidence for my own daughters, and I also want to exhale.

ADVERTISEMENT

Forward this newsletter to friends …

… to share ideas and perspectives that will help inform their lives. They can sign up here. Do you have feedback? Email us at opiniontoday@nytimes.com

Here’s what we’re focusing on today:

ADVERTISEMENT

Ideas

ADVERTISEMENT

Contact Us

If you have questions about your Times account, delivery problems or other issues, visit our Help Page or contact The Times.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

David Leonhardt's newsletter is now the Opinion Today newsletter. You received this email because you signed up for David Leonhardt's newsletter or the Opinion Today newsletter from The New York Times.

To stop receiving these emails, unsubscribe or manage your email preferences.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagram

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment