Saturday, June 18, 2022

Opinion Today: “I’ve never known my father, but I’ve always known his music”

How a musical performance helped reframe a non-relationship.

Most of us with absent fathers think, "What about me?" We rarely stop to ask, "What about him?"

Roy Ayers during a taping of the TV show "The Midnight Special" in Burbank, California, 1977. Jeffrey Henson Scales/HSP Archive

By Nabil Ayers

My introduction to music predates my memory. In the same way that I can't recall my first breath of fresh air or my first spoonful of mushy food, I can't recall a time when I didn't hear music in my head and feel it in my body. I started playing drums at a very young age, and as a child, I assumed that my musical interest and natural ability were products of my father's DNA: I've never known my father, but I've always known his music.

As a teenager who wanted more than anything to play in a real band, I considered my musical lineage to be an asset: My father, Roy Ayers, was a great musician, so naturally I thought I had it in me to become great. At that age, I never considered that my mother and uncle — the people who raised me — spent considerable time and effort to develop my natural interest and ability, and that their contributions may have influenced me more than my father's.

I played and recorded in several bands, but I never managed to become as successful a musician as my father, and in my mid-30s, I stopped touring and committed to a career on the business side of the industry. I've spent a lot of time internally debating the source of my fascination with music. I've always known that my father is talented. But as I wrote in my essay for Times Opinion, I never fully grasped what drove his success until I witnessed a performance that caused me to reframe my view of our non-relationship.

This Father's Day, I have several men to celebrate: my uncle, who bought me a drum set when I was 2 and a half years old; my drum teacher, who decided when I was 10 years old that I should also learn to play guitar; the many friends and family members who bought me records and concert tickets; and yes, my father, even if his role was simply to pass down his DNA.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Subscribe Today

New York Times Opinion curates a wide range of views, inviting rich discussion and debate that helps readers analyze the world. This work is made possible with the support of subscribers. Please consider subscribing to The Times with this special offer.

Games Here is today's Mini Crossword and Spelling Bee. If you're in the mood to play more, find all our games here.

Forward this newsletter to friends to share ideas and perspectives that will help inform their lives. They can sign up here. Do you have feedback? Email us at opiniontoday@nytimes.com.

ADVERTISEMENT

Contact us if you have questions about your Times account, delivery problems or other issues, visit our Help Page or contact The Times.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for the Opinion Today newsletter from The New York Times.

To stop receiving these emails, unsubscribe or manage your email preferences.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagram

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment