Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Opinion Today: Are you thinking of dining out?

Restaurants will never be the same.
Author Headshot

By Adrian J. Rivera

Editing Fellow, Opinion

Over the last year and change, food delivery services saved me from subsisting solely off Bolognese sauce, the one dish I know how to make well. At one point, I was having Pad See Ew delivered three times a week.

Eventually, friends joined me at home for delivered food. On my second pandemic birthday, a friend and I ordered ricotta pizza. Another friend, visiting from New Jersey, and I caught up over sushi when I was house-sitting in the Upper East Side.

I was satisfied with the food I had delivered. I was more than satisfied with the conversations I had over that delivered food. More hermetically inclined than I'd like to admit, I had food and I had community around food. So why did I miss going out to restaurants so much?

Inherent to our desire to go back to restaurants, I think, is the desire to be waited on, to be served. It's hard to admit. And it's even harder, apparently, to modulate this desire in light of the reality that restaurants are facing a glut of customers even as they deal with a dearth of employees willing to serve those customers.

That's why when Peter Hoffman sent a piece to us that called on restaurant owners — and restaurant patrons — to use the current moment as an opportunity to reframe the way we think about dining out, I knew we needed to publish it.

ADVERTISEMENT

A chef, restaurateur and author, Hoffman is well suited to show us why we shouldn't necessarily lament the fall of the old restaurant regime. I was particularly compelled by his point about treating dining out as a special occasion, rather than something done on a daily basis.

It made me think back to March 13, 2020, when I had dinner with two friends inside a restaurant. I did not know then that I would not eat inside another restaurant until May of this year.

If I had known, maybe I would have splurged and ordered an appetizer — dessert, even. I would have savored the roasted pork and pineapple arepa I ordered, I would have closed my eyes and paid meaningful attention to the food I was eating. Maybe I would have left a bigger tip for the waitress, for the host, for the bartender.

But because I thought I'd be back to a restaurant in the next week, in the next month, at worst, I wolfed down my food out of anxiety over the uncertain future. I didn't think to order anything other than what I needed. And I left the tip I was expected to leave.

ADVERTISEMENT

I hope Hoffman's essay inspires you, when you do dine out, to try something new, to savor and to be generous. I hope it inspires you to accord the restaurant employees, the food and the time you're spending at a meal with the respect each and all deserve.

Here's what we're focusing on today:

ADVERTISEMENT

Ideas

Guest Essay

This Is No Way to Rule a Country

Why are members of Congress and the president eager to endorse each other's authority without exercising their own?

By Greg Weiner

Article Image

Jamelle Bouie

Once Again, I'm Telling You That the Filibuster Doesn't Actually Work

The pending infrastructure bill only underscores the need to free the Senate from the shackle of the supermajority.

By Jamelle Bouie

Article Image

Michelle cottle

Getting Old Is a Crisis More and More Americans Can't Afford

The looming financial crisis for seniors.

By Michelle Cottle

Article Image

Guest Essay

We Studied One Million Students. This Is What We Learned About Masking.

Returning to school this fall, children should be vaccinated if eligible, wear masks or prepare to risk getting Covid. 

By Kanecia Zimmerman and Danny Benjamin Jr.

Article Image

Guest Essay

This Can Be the Year We Fulfill Our Promise to Dreamers

Young undocumented immigrants have waited long enough to plan their lives. 

By Lorella Praeli and Hina Naveed

Article Image

Subscribe Today

New York Times Opinion curates a wide range of views, inviting rich discussion and debate that helps readers analyze the world. This work is made possible with the support of subscribers. Please consider subscribing to The Times with this special offer.

Games Here is today's Mini Crossword and Spelling Bee. If you're in the mood to play more, find all our games here.

Forward this newsletter to friends to share ideas and perspectives that will help inform their lives. They can sign up here. Do you have feedback? Email us at opiniontoday@nytimes.com

Contact Us If you have questions about your Times account, delivery problems or other issues, visit our Help Page or contact The Times.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for the Opinion Today newsletter from The New York Times.

To stop receiving these emails, unsubscribe or manage your email preferences.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagram

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment