Thursday, June 24, 2021

Opinion Today: Don’t rush into your hedonistic post-vax summer

There's a good reason for making space to grieve.
Author Headshot

By Eleanor Barkhorn

Staff Editor, Opinion

"I think I want to get a tattoo," I told my husband last week.

I'm not a tattoo person. I didn't even get my ears pierced until I was 21 years old. But as we emerge from the pandemic, I want a permanent reminder of everything we've endured in this terrible season: the sickness and death of loved ones; canceled birthday parties; two Easters and a Christmas without full-throated singing at church; an entire school year spent in front of a computer.

I'm afraid that if I don't find a way to memorialize this time, I'll rush into the joys of post-vaccination summer without a backward glance. I'll risk burying the difficulties of Covid, rather than facing them.

As I weigh whether I really want a tattoo (and if so, what it would be — I'm open to suggestions!), I'll be taking Emily Esfahani Smith's latest essay to heart.

Esfahani Smith has written for Times Opinion a few times over the course of the pandemic — about how to find meaning in trying times, and about how teenagers in particular have struggled. In today's essay, she writes about the importance of taking a moment to grieve the losses of the pandemic.

"Today, many people, myself included, are eager to put the past year behind them and rush into the joys of normal life that are now available — vacations, bars, parties and so on," she writes. "But if we want to emerge from this crisis whole instead of broken, we need to process what we've lost."

ADVERTISEMENT

Backed by research from psychologists, Esfahani Smith urges readers to embrace storytelling as a way to process the past 16 months.

"The stories we tell about our experiences can have consequences for our well-being," she writes. "Studies show that telling redemptive stories is associated with psychological well-being and mental health."

Conversely, constructing a "contamination story," one in which the bad outweighs the good, is linked to depression and a sense that one's life lacks coherence.

The essay includes recommendations for how to use storytelling to make sense of the past year. She also reminds readers that speaking to a mental health professional may be the best course of action for people who are recovering from shattering trauma.

ADVERTISEMENT

I look forward to sitting down and writing out my pandemic story. As terrible as it's been, I can see redemption in it: an unprecedented amount of time with my family; deeper relationships with my neighbors; and a job that has allowed me to work with writers like Esfahani Smith to examine this crisis in all sorts of ways.

Here's what we're focusing on today:

ADVERTISEMENT

Subscribe Today

New York Times Opinion curates a wide range of views, inviting rich discussion and debate that helps readers analyze the world. This work is made possible with the support of subscribers. Please consider subscribing to The Times with this special offer.

Games
Here is today's Mini Crossword and Spelling Bee. If you're in the mood to play more, find all our games here.

Forward this newsletter to friends to share ideas and perspectives that will help inform their lives. They can sign up here. Do you have feedback? Email us at opiniontoday@nytimes.com

Contact Us
If you have questions about your Times account, delivery problems or other issues, visit our Help Page or contact The Times.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for the Opinion Today newsletter from The New York Times.

To stop receiving these emails, unsubscribe or manage your email preferences.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagram

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment